Skip to main content

My fabulous five



The following blog post is written as part of Indiblogger’s ‘WeChat’ contest, which is a promotion for the WeChat mobile messaging app. To learn more about WeChat, check their youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/WeChatIndia?feature=chclk

The idea of a common platform where anybody could connect – past, present or future, alive or dead, real or fictional – is, I think, brilliant, both as a brand promotion and a general concept. What messages would you leave to your as yet unborn children or grandchildren? Would Gandhi have been able to influence the views of Adolf Hitler? What musical masterpieces would have emerged had A.R. Rahman collaborated with Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar & Mohd. Rafi at the peak of their prowess? How many more Meiyappans & Vindoo Dara Singhs would Sherlock Holmes have unearthed, had he been part of the investigations in the sordid IPL scandal? The possibilities are endless.

My own personal ensemble cast is an eclectic mishmash of characters I’ve admired, looked up to, and generally spent a lot of time thinking about at various stages of my life.  People I would love not just to meet personally, but to put into a closed room…or more to the point, a virtual platform…and have them feed off each other’s thoughts and ideas and characteristics.

It begins with Lance Armstrong. As a fan of endurance sports, he was an icon to me. I watched his Tour De France wins, heard about his fight with cancer, read his book and like most others, was shocked beyond comprehension on news of his ‘elaborate & professional’ doping programme. For a while I disbelieved and willed it to be false, I sympathized with him amidst the growing allegations and was stunned when I finally learned they were actually true. Despite all the news & interviews, I’m still dismayed about the fall of a legend and grappling with the question “Why?” So the Armstrong I would like to meet is the one before the doping started, when he was still “clean”…whenever that was. 

I would like to have talked to him about the sport, his career, his fight with cancer, his potential for growth. About human fallacies and his need…ironical as it may seem…to avoid those fallacies while being the most pressured to succumb to them. I’m sure he had personal demons, but I would’ve liked to remind him about his potential for heroism that existed because of those very same demons. What the world wants…what it needs…as evident by the fact that we frequently look to sport for our icons…are examples of the triumph of human spirit. The story of an underdog who never ceases fighting the odds. Whether or not he would win, whether or not he would dominate the sport as he did, he was in that enviable position of being a great example, maybe not to the world, but to a few who would, inevitably look up to him even without the 7 yellow jerseys. I would’ve liked to tell him that it was better to fail and still lift the hearts of a few, than succeed and force millions to rethink the very concept of sporting icons. To rue their folly of believing that great men can actually be more than just men. 

Which brings me to the second person I’d invite to the chat. Someone at the opposite end of the spectrum from Armstrong, a nobody who lives his equally tough profession, and does it with integrity and honour, a man called Tsewang. Tsewang is a member of the Changpa tribe of Ladakh, a nomadic wanderer who roams the high slopes of mountains feeding his livestock on the sparse grasslands that dot the region. It is a life of endurance, but unlike the modern endurance athlete, it is neither glamorous nor temporary. Constant movement, long tough treks, biting cold and harsh environs are a daily affair. And Tsewang doesn’t just love his profession, he lives it.  He is so proud of being a Changpa, that when his legs have failed him and his children have taken over the livestock in his old age, he’s erected a tent in the compound of his concrete house and lives there permanently. Being tough is, for him, not a lifestyle choice or a means of proving something.  It is just who he is. And the hard times, the obscurity and meager possessions have not affected his integrity and honesty one bit. I would love for celebrities, sportspersons, adrenaline junkies and travelers to spend a few hours with this simple soul to understand what a life well-lived truly means.  Armstrong, for one, could certainly take lessons on focusing on the sport and being an ambassador, instead of craving so much for the top position.

The third person I’d invite is straight out of the movies. And I mean literally. He needs no introduction to anyone who’s been around since the Doordarshan days, and like me, is also a bit of a sci-fi nut. He’s got the unique opportunity by means of his…umm…varied ancestry…to be able to look at humanity from an outside perspective with near total detachment. While he’s no stranger to emotions, he’s imbued with the sense of logic to be able to analyze them and see them for what they are. Ever since I saw the first set of gum-booted, yellow & red clothed men & women who boldly went where no one had gone before, I was hooked. The idea of living in a constantly moving home, to be able to visit different worlds and interact with the inhabitants, and yet not have the baggage of being attached to any one of them…that touched a chord deep inside of me. And among all the characters, Spock was a constant favorite.  Besides being one of the coolest characters of the lot, he epitomized friendship, loyalty, intelligence and steadfastness. I know I’m making him sound like a Labrador retriever…but still…he was man you could trust, a man for a tight situation. A firm believer in both logic & the power of technology to change lives, I can’t help wondering to this day the rate at which humanity would have progressed if we were able to conveniently set aside all conflicting emotions and pursue with single-minded dedication that which enriched us. A grey world perhaps, but it would be a highly evolved one for sure. 

It’s probably evident from the previous paragraphs that I have a fascination for exploration, travel and deep space. With all the progress that science & technology has made today, I maintain that the two areas as yet unexplored are the workings of the human mind and the vastness of outer space. Though a lot is known about them, we are nowhere close to plumbing the depths of either to really find out how they work. So if we have someone like the Science Officer of the Starship Enterprise, one of the most widely travelled and brilliant minds in popular fiction ever in our chat, what better than to enrich humanity by pairing him with one the most brilliant minds alive today?  Referred by many as the most intelligent man since Einstein, and arguably the best theoretical physicist and cosmologist ever, Stephen Hawking is next on the list. While he would be able to chat with Armstrong as a former athlete (he was on the rowing team at Oxford before the motor neuron disease hit him) and author, a chat room would not suffice to hold the combined grey matter with him & Spock put together.  Imagine the satisfaction of having theories on black hole radiation, gravitational singularities, time running backwards, dark matter and quantum physics being validated by someone who spent his life stepping through black holes into parallel universes. Imagine the gains that the human race would make! We would finally know the validity of the theory of relativity, and if we’re lucky the formula for beaming someone on board a moving vessel…or a static vessel, for that matter… and even…gasp…achieving trans warp speeds! It would be like an orgasmic explosion of science! One small step for WeChat (and for Vulcans),  a mega-humongous infinity spanning leap for Mankind! 

The fifth person I’d like to add to the group, one who would benefit hugely from the combined presence of Armstrong, Tsewang, Spock & Hawking…and he might even give me a signed photograph and mention me in the credits of his next book, thus fulfilling my life’s objective…is Bill Bryson. The famous, rollickingly funny American author, possibly the closest to British humour that Americans…or any other species, for that matter…could produce, and one of my absolute favorites.  As someone once said, and I paraphrase, travel never seemed funnier than when Bill Bryson was doing it. Douglas Adams was a close second for this spot, but then he’s already written the most definitive guide to the galaxy yet, so it makes Spock’s presence a bit redundant. But Bryson…this would be uncharted territory for him. If he could make international bestsellers on notes from small islands and little walks in the woods, it boggles the mind to think what he could do with the rest of the universe.  That aside, a little nugget from Wikipedia is that Stephen Hawking was “increasingly irritated” when asked to explain his ideas clearly in non-technical language for “A brief history of time”. The mind, once again, boggles to think what would happen if Bryson started to explain concepts from his general science book “A short history of nearly everything” to Hawking. His reaction might even move Spock enough to raise an eyebrow. Bryson and Armstrong could compare notes on their respective travels…drug-fuelled and otherwise…in France, and he might just be tempted to decide if something funny could come out of spending a winter in sub-zero temperatures in Ladakh amidst grazing sheep and yaks after speaking with Tsewang. For all you know he might even credit WeChat in his next book or two for giving him this life-changing opportunity, thus surpassing their wildest expectations for a promotion. And I could read all about it on my new MacBook Air! If that isn’t a win-win situation for everybody, I don’t know what is!

So there you have it, my dream team of real & fictional personalities that define all of my major interests in life…endurance, sports, travel, literature, outer space and science fiction…brought together by WeChat’s amazing new app. That you can know all about here. 

That’s it for now. Until my next post…Live Long & Prosper!!


Comments

Aalok said…
Kaushik the dude.....i know i have already said this so many times already, but have to say again.....YOU ARE THE WRITER DUDE......!!!!! an absolute treat to read your blog, man.....superb...... :-)
ak47mak said…
Excellent blog......though Lance Armstrong still continues to be my Hero ....to fight and come out of suffering......and would like to emulate Tsewang.....if I reach that age!!!

Popular posts from this blog

School reunion

Ok, so lets first get the obvious out of the way. The blog has died. Not a pleasant state of affairs, I know. But then there are few things unpleasanter than a chance glance upon a once closely-clasped-to-your-bosom thingy revealing the last entry dated December 25, 2008. An accurate description of the state of affairs would be, I believe, forlorn and woebegone. So here then, is an attempt at resurrection. No clue, really, if it will work. Sometime in the past 373.25 days, I think I managed to lose the writing habit entirely. And in a little corner of my head lurks the fear that these things, once lost, don't really return. But I guess that's a matter beyond me. I'll do what I have to, and leave the rest in the capable hands of the Woman Upstairs. (been trying shed the male chauvinist part of the MCP image for some time now) One of the things I've been thinking about off late, is the meetings with the DAV gang. Going into flashback mode, I was one of those kids that com

Reflections on wheels

Riding is one of those things that I find naturally, instinctively appealing. It’s not so much something that defines you, but something that lives within you. The characteristics that define me as a biker are there, have always been there, I think, in me. The physical act is just something that opens the door to those parts of me. It lets me do what I want to do and be who I want to be. And yet, when in conversation someone refers to me as “a biker”, I find it vaguely distasteful. It immediately serves to brand me with a certain stereotype. A rebel perhaps, or a braggart, or a wannabe cool dude, and more often than not something of an oddity. None of which is true. Biking is no more an unnatural act than, for instance, gardening, and is no more rebellious than watching a play is rebellious. It’s not all about high-brow philosophy and Pirsiguesque thoughts, of course. I love all of the little things, starting from the envious little sideward glances I get from fellow commuters as the

Trip to Kundadri

A narrow winding road passing through lush green forests. The trees arch across overhead on either side to form a natural canopy, the ground below covered by twigs and fallen leaves. The silence broken only by the gentle patter of rain, the singing of a thousand crickets and the thump of a Bullet, the idyllic scenery broken only by glimpses of a fellow rider far ahead in the distance – There are few experiences more soothing to a man’s soul. The Bare Essentials Destination – Kundadri Betta, in the Shimoga district of Karnataka Daywise Breakup of the ride – Day 1: Bangalore – Tumkur – Arasikere – Shimoga – Thirtahalli Day 2: Thirtahalli – Kundadri Betta – Agumbe – Sringeri – Kuppalli – Koppa Day 3: Koppa – Chickmaglur – Kemmangundi – Birur – Tiptur – Tumkur – Bangalore Distance covered – Approx 1000 km Memories stored – Innumerable Day 1 - The Onward Ride The preparations started as with most other rides. Last minute tuning of the bike, calls and e-mails to one another discussing sp